Tuesday 18 November 2014

Where are they now? - Miranda Jones, Fine Art 2013

Guest blog post written by Miranda Jones, all images appear with her permission. Miranda studied Fine Art A Level, completing in 2013. She is now in her second year and this is her second post for us, her first post can be seen here:
ttp://trcarthive.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/where-are-they-now-miranda-jones-fine.html
My name is Miranda Jones and whilst at TRC I completed Fine Art A-Level. After TRC I went straight to University without completing a foundation year. Currently I am a second year student at the University of Leeds studying Art and Design.
So far my second year has been pretty hectic! One of the biggest differences between first year and second year is the pace of work. In first year, you are relatively gently eased into the course whereas in second year it is go go go right from the start and it doesn’t let up so you have to be prepared. Plus your marks now start to count towards your degree, so no dossing off! However, in saying that second year does have its perks; you are firmly established within your course, the tutors know you and therefore are more accessible, and you are more confident in your work (you got through the first year, so you must be alright!).
In terms of my own work I have so far had the chance to work in 2D (drawing, painting and printing), 3D (sculpture and installation) and new media (photography, film and sound). I have also had work displayed at a public exhibition. Currently I am half way through a photography project exploring identity and gender through selfies, but only using analogue camera techniques. On my course you get to take elective modules (extra classes that don’t have to have anything to do with your main course) I am doing beginners Japanese this year which is really intense but so much fun.
At the moment I am in the process of applying to go on a year abroad. On my particular course you can change your 3 year program to a 4 year one by partaking in a year abroad, a year in industry (where you organise internships and placements) or a year in enterprise (where you are given a grant to start up your own business). I am hopefully going to York University in Toronto, Canada.
My extracurricular activities include working as a steward for No Gloss Independent Film festival, being secretary for the Leeds University Comic Book society (and designing and manufacturing their membership cards, commission work looks great on your CV!), having illustrations displayed in a café in Leeds, attending life drawing and of course enjoying nights out and house parties (another perk of second year, moving into a house).
Here are some examples of my work:
 

 
‘Selfie?’ – 2014, Fujifilm Instax 100


 
 
'Photomosaic’ x2 – 2014, Black & White Film


A series of small books I made exploring the Quotidian Object (the everyday object) – 2013

An image from my book ‘Insomnia’ – 2013, paper and thread

Close up of Exhibition Piece
Man versus Nature
2013
Ink (hands) and thread (embroidered leaves)

No comments:

Post a Comment