Wednesday 12 November 2014

Where are they now? - Hollie Turner

Guest blog post written by Hollie Turner, all images appear with her permission, thanks Hollie!  Hollie studied Fine Art A Level 2012 - 2014 at TRC.

Hollie Turner

University:  Sheffield Institute of Arts (Part of Sheffield Hallam)


Course: Fine Art MArt
 

From TRC’s Fine Art A-level I went straight onto study Fine Art MArt at Sheffield Institute of Arts (part of Sheffield Hallam). TRC’s art helped so much with this, and I feel more prepared than a lot of students who have come from foundation degrees. The level of freedom and experimentation at college with the help of amazing teachers makes the start of university a lot less scary!
At SIA we started with an introductory set of “streams” workshops, which is essentially drawing based skills aiming to get you straight into your studio practice (which is 80 out of the 120 credits each year). This ran until trips week, when we went to London for three days! Now we’re about to start more specific workshops in the printmaking, photography, film and sculpture workshops (and in January we choose one to really specify in).
As well as this there are two visiting artist lectures each week- transmission and gravity. This means that we have contact with those already working in the art industry and we get more of an insight as to how they work and advise they can give us. We have two written modules, one runs in the first semester which is Professional Art Practice which over the three/four years aims to get your ready to enter the art world, and the other is an art context and theory module which I’m starting in January.
As well as university I’m also volunteering at Old Market Gallery, which is a community run gallery in town (the big glass one as you walk down from college). It’s really nice to get involved in the local art scene and events such as Love Comes First.
I don’t really have a set goal for when I leave university yet. I’m thinking possibly about the e film industry, or working with arts charities. I’m hoping that over the next few years I can get a better idea of what I really want to do so that for my 3 month work placement during my fourth year I can get involved in something that could potentially lead to a career!



Rough work in my sketchbook focussed around the Rotherham Sex abuse scandal and the reaction to this.


 
Start of a “never ending drawing” as part of the streams workshops- based on an interactive piece of peoples thoughts on Rotherham
 
 
Blogs:
http://hollieolivia-studiopractice.blogspot.co.uk/   (for my professional art practice module- to be assessed)
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment