Monday 9 September 2019

Where Are They Now? | Steven Jones


Guest blog post time! Here is a post by ex student Steven Jones who studied Photography, Media and Film here from 2016-2018. and has now gone onto work as a photographer, both freelance and for the creative agency awesome.™. Steven impressed Dan Rose from awesome so much at the TRC final exhibition last year he left him a business card to get in touch, and the rest is history! Take it away Steven! 

It seems like decades ago since I last walked into TRC as a student, to hideaway in the darkroom pouring coca cola onto my prints to get a cool effect. In fact, it’s only been about a year now but I suppose you can do a lot in that time.

After leaving TRC in July 2018 I began working as a freelancer, using my photography skills to try and get a grasp on the real world industry. If not for Dan Rose (aka Drose/Lil Pump’s biggest fan) I’d not have had a clue where to start as at this point I hadn’t even built up the courage to open Adobe lightroom and learn how to edit RAW photos. Dan took me under his wing at his company (awesome.™) and I began shadowing him on a bunch of photoshoots, the first of which was at Barnsley College capturing images for the new prospectus.



I learned rather quickly that as a photographer in the real world you have to be pretty adaptive and ready for anything, there really is no amount of planning which will prepare you for when you walk through the door on the day of shooting.

After shadowing Dan for a few weeks I began to take over some photography responsibilities within the company, mainly taking care of Dan’s estate agent client, and conducting photoshoots of properties around the South Yorkshire area. At first I’ll admit, taking responsibility and going it alone was somewhat daunting after only a few weeks ago being in a classroom still asking teachers if “this looks good”, but soon enough with time my experience and confidence grew significantly helping me get better at the job in hand.



At first, most new photography jobs I had to do were intimidating as there’s a level of expectation in which the client expects not only a product to be delivered but a high quality one, and with photography at events and occasions such as weddings you’ve essentially got to nail it the first time!

I’d say I was prepared for most eventualities as I’d been using my camera in manual for years so I should be good to go right? Well truthfully, it was being ‘creative’ when put on the spot which got me the most. Some may argue that you can’t really teach creativity however I think that my time at TRC did teach me to take my time and explore ideas in various ways instead of opting for the first and easiest option.

Hours in the darkroom jamming to Enter Shikari and printing photos onto expensive paper had somewhat prepared me for the moment I needed to capture a wedding ceremony. I realised I could take my time and focus on getting those few great prints or in this case great images which were smashing quality, rather than panic and fill my SD card with half decent “pics” which more than likely would be disappointing to look back on rather than exciting and special – like wedding shots should be!


Fast forwarding to now, I’m working on developing skills which work hand in hand with my photography like videography, graphic design and branding. This is great for me as I also studied Film and Media at TRC where I learned about film production and how a director works to create a video masterpiece, and I’ve now had chance to have a crack myself and put my videography to the test. We’re working on a new website here at awesome.™ and have created a video to show off who we are and what goes on behind the scenes. Not only this, but in the past month we started filming wedding videos, which is all the fun of regular wedding photography but with added complications as I’m sure you can imagine!



All in all it’s been a pretty mad year since leaving TRC, there’s plenty I’ve missed out but if you’ve made it this far into this post I’m sure you’re already getting bored so ill wrap it up by saying cheers to TRC and Dan from awesome.™!



Oh I missed out that I had chance to go inside a Halifax bomber and take photos, was pretty mad to be fair…

No comments:

Post a Comment