Monday 27 January 2014

Where are they Now? - Rachel Sanderson

 
Guest blog post written by Rachel Sanderson, a TRC Fine Art student 2009 - 2011, now in her third year of her course. 


Rachel Sanderson
 
Fine Art (4 Year course)
 
University of Newcastle
 
 
At TRC I took the Fine Art endorsement and thoroughly enjoyed it!
I went straight onto the four year Fine Art BA at Newcastle University. I specifically choose Newcastle due to the structure of the course, with the dissertation completed in third year and the degree show in fourth year, and the fact that it has no separate schools of painting or sculpture, therefore there is no pressure to specialize in one media.
 
Unlike most art schools in the country Newcastle University looks after first year art students quite well, with tutors constantly popping into studios and specified project areas to begin with, therefore A level to degree was a steady progression, not a drop in the deep end! I highly value the teachers at TRC as they allowed me to explore my independence and recognized that I was highly motivated within my own ideas.
 
Currently I am in third year, and I have lots of ideas and dreams for what I want to do when I leave university! My long-term goal is to be able to show my work in galleries across the world, and to be a lecturer in a far eastern country such as Japan. Upon finishing at university I want to get a job in a college or university as an art technician, while having my own studio as well. I would also like to work in international schools across the world as a teacher and therefore train for a teaching certificate. My back up plan for if I don’t manage to find a job when I graduate is to go straight onto a PGCE, but I would really like to work for a few years first.
 
In 2014 I will also apply for the Daiwa Scholarship, which if I am successful in achieving will allow me to study Japanese in Tokyo for 19months fully funded, although most successful applicants have an MA and BA qualification, so I might be applying more than one year in a row!
In March I am going to Muenster in Germany on Erasmus to study in the art school for a semester.
 While at Newcastle I have been involved in a few outside projects such as the Darlington Festival of Thrift where I was paid to run knitting workshops for two days. I have also set up a University Knit and Knatter group that I hope to turn into a fully-fledged university society in September when I come back from Erasmus.
I have a blog called Rachel’s ArtPractice that I do post pictures of my work on but not as often anymore as I am crazy busy at university!
 
Rachels A2 coursework final piece

Rachels A2 Exam exhibition
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment