Wednesday 22 January 2014

University Interviews - Goldmiths - Design

We are asking students who have been on interviews for University courses to write about their experiences, this is the first one we have recieved back.

University: Goldsmiths, University of London
Course: Design
Student: Kesia (TRC Fine Art 2011 - 2013)
Interview Date:  Jan 2014


After receiving an Unconditional offer to study Design at Goldsmiths Sarah asked me to write a blog post about the interview process.
It is a three year course with ABB requirement at A-level. After applying it took about two months for them to reply with a portfolio interview date, they also requested that I write a 300 word statement on why I wanted to apply to their course. For my portfolio they asked I bring work from the past 12 months that show creativity, it did not specifically have to be design work so I took my Fine Art coursework.
When I arrived at the interview we were asked to lay out our work on a desk and then wait in a separate room whilst the interviewers looked though our portfolios. They left us in a room together to introduce ourselves and break the ice before our group interviews. When we were called back into the room the course leader had picked out one piece from our portfolios and we were asked to explain how we came about to make that piece and how it fit in with our projects. For mine he picked out my mock final piece which was a self-portrait which he asked me why I had chosen to age with varnish and coffee.
 
We were then asked to pick out our favourite piece from our portfolio and discuss it in the same way, for mine I chose my chine collé intaglio print as it was something no one else in the interview had experimented with and I felt this would make me stand out from the group. The interviewer also asked us questions such as ‘What do you think is the difference between Art and Design?’ and ‘Do you think it is important to try new forms of Design?’, questions where there is no correct answer, the interviewer would then argue the other side to see how you deal with being challenged.

After the interview we were taken on a tour of the Design department where we had the opportunity to ask questions to a 3rd year student.

The day after my interview I received an email from the man who interviewed me saying he was recommending to the admissions team that they offer my a place and it took 5 days for my official offer to come through on UCAS.
 
Well done Kesia from everyone in the Art Department at TRC!

No comments:

Post a Comment