Tuesday 19 December 2017

Where Are They Now? | Nicole Scarfe

See below a guest blog post by one of lovely ex graphics students Nicole who is now doing an apprenticeship in Graphic Design:

Hiya Guys,

I’m fellow ex-student Nicole Scarfe and I began my journey at TRC in 2015 and graduated in the summer of 2017, where I studied Fine Art, Graphic Communication and BTEC Business Level 3.

Straight after leaving TRC I went into an apprenticeship studying Graphic Design at an IT Company called VeryPC based in Sheffield. Within this role I get to design custom decorations for a wide range of our products such as Vinyl decals for laptop lids and desktop PC panels. By studying Graphic Communication at TRC it benefits me when designing custom decorations, as I understood that the design must fit with the clients current branding work but at the same time put your own stamp on it.


Another duty I have is to mock up visuals of the above designs on VeryPC products for illustrative purpose. When designs are then approved, I then have the pleasure of making the vinyl decals myself with our in-house Printer, Laminator and Cutting machines. As both Art and Graphics are both hands on subjects I found this is very similar to production process for the vinyl decal and was able to get stuck in straight away. It also allowed me to have some basic knowledge on how to use Adobe programs such as Photoshop where I am able to create virtual mock ups of the designs I have created.

  
Another fun part of my apprenticeship is completing sublimations for items such as mugs! In our print room, we have our own in-house Mug Press Machine where I can transfer the custom designs onto the mug. As part of my Graphics course I completed many sublimations on items such as t-shirts, aprons and tea towels. By knowing how to do this process in the first place it benefited me as I could pick up working the new machine in no time.



I plan to finish my apprenticeship by January 2019 where I will hopefully continue to grow at VeryPC and build up my knowledge in Graphic Design. 



Thanks Nicole!

No comments:

Post a Comment