Monday 3 June 2013

Royal Academy Submissions 2013

After the success of Alex H last year, several students have submitted their work for the Royal Academy A Level online Exhibition again this year.  This is an extremly prestigious exhibition so good luck students!

Emily H, AS,
My artwork is inspired by intricate details in architecture of fallen Manor Houses.  I have researched the unseen history behind seemingly untainted buildings and the secrets they keep.  I was influenced by my visit to Wentworth Woodhouse where I discovered an attempt by the 10th Earl Fitzwilliam to destroy evidence concerning the ownership of Wentworth Woodhouse.

My interpretation of secrets behind such grand Manor Houses is represented by delicate designs in its architecture.  I researched Frank Randal, who studied the small yet significant details of a building.  I have also researched John Piper, Daniela Gullotta and Valery Koshlyakov.  These artists have influenced my artwork through atmosphere, texture and surfaces.  The surface I use for my artwork represents the state of the Manors concerning their age.

When I studied Wentworth Woodhouse and Cannon Hall, I noticed the imposing structure’s dilapidating state.  I was reminded of their significant age as they have been inherited by many generations.  To reproduce this idea in my artwork, I have ‘destroyed’ the surfaces by ripping cardboard and fading wood.




 
Fran C, AS
Inspiration
All of us can live a fulfilling life in the middle of the turmoil. During this project I was inspired by portraiture and the external reflection of turmoil. I found that I was interested in the inner emotions and issues of change and how people can shape there lives. And also of turmoil and the way people acted and outwardly displayed or hid these emotions. I looked to artists such as Jenny Saville and Karen Lindholm and there work of squashed faces which created a strong link with my idea of how external turmoil could be represented.
Description 
The main structure of this piece comes from a bed sheet that I printed onto. This was created from a safe, secure and loving atmosphere of a bed that eliminates emotional stress, which is then interrupted by turmoil and insecurity (the knots) this is the inner representation of turmoil and shows how the once safe and secure can become tight and harsh such as in turmoil. The outward representation of turmoil comes form the hand printed faces. These printed faces came from a photo shoot I did which was based on Karen Lindholmes' work showing the expressions of turmoil. Another point about this piece is that when it is taken down and rehung, it is never the same as it was previous, it is different every time. This shows that turmoil is never the same between two different people and it is never the same twice with individuals.  

 


 
Grace D, A2



 
Hollie Turner, AS
Are you wearing a mask? Is the person sat next to you wearing a mask? No? How do you know this? Do we not all on a daily basis mask what we are really feeling? Don’t we have different faces for different people, sometimes that static smile that makes your jaw ache, and sometimes that grin that crinkles your whole face?

During this project I have been inspired by these masks that we wear on a daily basis. I have been photographing people’s masks, destroying them and recreating them from the broken fragments. I tore up these photographs and joined them back together on somebodies face, ‘recreating’ their mask, and used this new set of photographs to create an intaglio plate for printing. Using scrunched up paper to break the prints up; I began overprinting, creating layers. Using broken up prints I created this piece by cutting into the prints, stitching them together on the canvas, adding structure and layers to the mask, as a kind of scaffolding for this synthetic disguise. This piece is 3D, with the print emerging from the canvas, creating layers and depth, much like the masks we wear.

I took inspiration from artists such as Mimmo Rotella, looking at layers and fragmented images, Francis Bacon’s A Terrible Beauty looking at broken up photographs, and “Edin” by the Edge of the Grid Collective as this large scale installation inspired my piece. 

 

 
Jenny B, AS

 
Joe B, A2
 


 
Kesia E, A2


 
Lucy G, A2
 


 
Mona P, AS
Share your inspiration
I find portraiture painting fascinating. It’s all about capturing different emotions and grasping the viewer’s attention by the messages behind the sitters’ eyes. Lucian Freud’s work is very inspiring to me; I find his style of painting most intriguing. Amongst other artists, Rembrandt, Caravaggio and Frank Auerbach are also of inspiration to me.  I love experimenting with new techniques to try and develop my knowledge of painting. I think art is not just about self expressionism; I try to address political and social issues in my work too, as I am greatly interested in raising awareness and knowledge about current worldly affairs as well as complex emotions we humans face and feel everyday. 
About the art work
 Title: old man with a beard, Medium: Oil on canvas, Dimensions: 150cm height by 100cm width
This piece was inspired by various artists such as Rembrandt, Lucian Freud and Jenny Saville and aims to confront the viewers with the inevitability of death and the process of ageing. It’s powerful in the way expression is captured in the old man’s eyes. The size of the canvas, inspired by Jenny Saville, is directly linked encouraging emphasis and impact on the viewers. I wanted to create something that would stick in the minds of the audience so they would go away and ponder on where they stand on the subject of ageing; how comfortable, or rather uncomfortable they are with it and how they feel about death. Are they scared, anxious, angry, happy, eager, ignorant or just impartial to the concept of death?

 
 
Rembrandt’s series of self portraits through out his life recording his ageing and, maturity in a sense, inspired this piece also.
Title: old man behind the…, Medium: oil on canvas, Dimensions: 150cm height by 100cm width

To paint this painting I first made an intaglio print and collaborated it with a monoprint and then painted the final outcome. I did this because I felt the Intaglio prints alone were aesthetically pleasing yet they were missing something. The monoprinting on top created a more different effect and the kind I was looking to achieve. I wanted to make the old man look as though he isn’t there. Almost like disappearing as many old people do when their children grow up and leave home or their close ones die, and they are left alone. Younger people often don’t want to spend time with the elderly and consequently they feel isolated and forgotten. This is a second painting which coincides with the old man with a beard.

 
Naomi R, A2


 
Rebecca R, A2


 
Steph L, AS


No comments:

Post a Comment